39 total views, 1 views today
The 45th US President Donald Trump has arrived in India for his first ever diplomatic visit to the nation. He is accompanied by a high-level delegation including First Lady Melania Trump, the President’s daughter and advisor Ivanka Trump, son-in-law and advisor Jared Kushner and a galaxy of top American officials. A grand public reception was held for Trump at Motera Stadium, termed as ‘Namaste Trump’
Who organized ‘Namaste Trump’?
The organizers were not the Gujarat government, but a private new group. The chief organizers behind the stadium event are a newly formed outfit called the ‘Donald Trump Nagrik Abhinandan Samiti’ (DTNAS). Cost – Approx. ₹120 Crore for the 3 hour event.
Sabarmati Ashram Visit
Trump visited the ‘Hriday Kunj‘at Sabarmati Ashram of Mahatma Gandhi; First USA president to do so. The Trumps spun the yarn before making an entry in the guestbook. Several gifts, including Mahatma Gandhi’s biography, a charkha (spinning wheel) and a marble statue of three monkeys symbolizing ‘See No Evil, Speak No Evil and Hear No Evil’ were presented to trump at the Sabarmati Ashram.
US President and other delegates were given a “road show” of stages representing the 28 states of India on his way to the Motera stadium.
Trump Speech Highlights
- America will always be India’s faithful friend
- India holds special place in our hearts
- India gives hope to humanity
- Praises for PM Modi and his Journey
- In just 70 years, India has become the largest democracy and has become one of the greatest nations in the world.
Praise for Government Schemes
- Villages in India have access to electricity.
- Over 300 million more have got internet connection.
- India will soon become the home to the world’s largest middle class.
- What is impressive is that India has achieved all this as a democracy and as a tolerant country. India’s achievement is unrivalled.
- Praised India’s space tech, specifically Chandrayan II mission
Soft Power Acknowledgement
US President praised Indian movies and mentioned two movies name.
US President talked about Indian Cricket and mentioned the names of following players:
India, US committed to fight terrorists and their ideology; that is why US govt is working with Pakistan to crack down on terror groups. US relationship with Pakistan is a very good one. The President is hopeful for reduced tensions, greater stability & the future of harmony for all of the nations of South Asia United States is determined to help protect India from the threat of “radical Islamic terrorism.”
- $ 3 billion Defence deal that will send state-of the-art military helicopters to the country.
- 24 MH-60R helicopters for the Indian Navy
- 6 AH-64E Apache helicopters for the Indian Army.
- Trump said, “USA and India will be making a very big trade deal to boost our countries economy. I am sure that we can reach a good trade. But PM Modi is a tough negotiator.’’
- Trump Lashed out at trade barriers imposed by India.
- Multiple rounds of talks have taken place between Commerce Minister Piyush Goyal and US Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer in the past few weeks over telephone to sign a possible trade deal during THIS visit.
- However, the two countries seems to have been stuck on some of the sticky issues in the way of finalizing a mega trade deal during the visit.
Importance of India for USA
- Energy – Nuclear deal
- Security – On the Indo-Pacific region, China has been trying to spread its influence in the resource-rich region. To counter Beijing, the US has been pushing for a broader role by India in the strategically important region.
Trump tweeted in Hindi language
India USA Trade
- India is now 5th largest economy
- S. goods and services trade with India totaled an estimated $142.6 billion in 2018.
- Imports were $58.7 billion
- Exports were $83.9 billion.
- The U.S. goods and services trade deficit with India was $25.2 billion in 2018.
- India is currently USA’s 9th largest goods trading partner with $87.9 billion in tot.al (two way) goods trade during 2018
The Indian American population in the U.S., totaling about 4 million, increased by 40% between 2010 and 2017. Thus, making them the fastest growing immigrant group in the country. Indian Americans might become a factor during the Elections in November 2020.