- Virus was discovered by Russian botanist Dmitri Iosifovich.
- Tobacco Mosaic Virus was the first virus discovered.
- It can survive only inside another living organism, animal or plant.
- It is a connecting link between living and non-living things.
Living properties of Viruses
- The presence of DNA or RNA (but never both)
- Genetic and parasitic properties
- Capable of spreading the disease Non-living properties
- The absence of cell and lack of protoplasm
- No any reproduction and growth outside the living cell
- The lack of metabolic activities like nutrition, digestion
Structure of Virus
- Virus has genetic material, either (DNA) Or (RNA).
- Capsid- protein shell of virus and which protect the nucleic acid and aid in its transmission between host cells.
- Some viruses have a third structure that surrounds the capsid called the envelope and is composed of a bilipid layer and glycoproteins.
- Envelope protects the virus from immune system when host secretes anti- virus substances called interferon
How do Viruses work?
What Are Coronavirus?
- Coronaviruses (CoV) are a large family of viruses that cause illness ranging from the common cold to more severe diseases such as Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERSCoV) and Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS-CoV).
- They are a group of viruses that cause respiratory diseases in mammals and birds.
- The name “coronavirus” is derived from the Latin corona which means crown.
- Coronaviruses are zoonotic, meaning they are transmitted between animals and people.
- On February 11, 2020 the World Health Organization announced an official name for the disease i.e. coronavirus disease 2019, abbreviated as COVID-19.
- First identified in Wuhan China.
- COVID-19 is a new disease, caused be a novel (or new) coronavirus that has not previously been seen in humans.
- Virus for COVID-19 is SARS COV-2
How is Coronavirus Diagnosed?
- Blood tests
- Throat and nose swabs
Who’s At Risk?
- Older adults and people with chronic conditions like heart and lung disease
- people who have recently had surgeries for organ or bone marrow transplants, & patients undergoing chemotherapy.
- People with weaker or compromised immune systems